Thursday, January 6, 2011

I want a pink baby not a purple one!

Preston James Turkstra
November 19, 2011
7lbs 9oz
37 weeks and 5 days



The third week in November I had convinced myself that this baby was going to be nothing like his brother and that in fact all pregnancies are different. I had begun to plan what to take to my moms for thanksgiving and trying to figure out how in the world I would eat on thanksgiving feeling so full as it is.



November 18th I was picking up for dinner we had Meatloaf. I bent over to put the ketchup away and I felt a pop and a small trickle of water. Could that really be my water breaking? No not a chance the bending must have caused me to pee a bit. Oh but wait a minute it continued after I went to the bathroom and as I walk down the stairs in 5 minutes I had soaked my pants. My water had defiantly broken. It was a little after 7p.m. Since it was so close to bed time I called my parents and had them come get Hunter so he could get a full nights rest. I began to feel a few contractions they were very random maybe 3 contractions in a row at 4 minutes apart and then nothing for 10 or 15 minutes. I called the doctor and she said to take my time and come on in. My plan was to stay home as long as I wasn't in serious pain and I could breath and talk normal. Well the scaredy cat in me got the best of me. So as a distraction my Husband said lets pack the car and head to my work so I can finish everything up before the little man is here. So we did. He worked and I walked the parking lot. My contractions were still not regular and I was terrified that they would start pitocin right away so I walked and walked trying to keep things going. I would have done jumping jacks if my water wasn't leaking so bad ;)



We finally made it to the hospital at about 10:30p.m. I was only at 3 cm at that point so I continued to walk the halls for another 2 hours. Since my contractions were not regular enough the word pitocin was mentioned by the doctor. I wanted to do everything in my power not to have to start the pit and the evil path that it usually leads down so I began nipple stimulation. What do you know it started to help, but not soon enough at 12:30 they came in to start an IV with pitocin in it. I was now sentenced to the bed :( I put on my hypnobabies cd and got in the zone. It was a good thing too because it took 4 people and 1 hour to get the stupid IV in and by that time my contractions were strong very strong. I was to a 6. Once the pitocin started flowing at 1:30 my strong contractions became extremely strong! I had to concentrate hard to mange them. I asked for a birthing ball hoping that rocking on it would help. I sat for a few minutes and had to go the the bathroom. I never new that sitting on a toilet could feel so good. It was just the position I needed. All my up and down was making my nurse nervous, so she wanted to check again. Oh my was that extremely painful. I was still a six so she offered me stadol. At that point I was becoming frustrated and feeling trapped by the IV so I said yes. I thought maybe it would take the edge off so I could regain my focus. She came back and checked me again before she started it. Once and really? That killed I mean an awful awful pain and pressure. I was still a six so she started the stadol. she started to walk out of the room I had a contraction and I said I need to push now. I should have kept my mouth shut because he she comes to check me again!!! Dumb bitch (ok sorry I'm sure she is a very sweet lady but that was my thought at the time) I was at a 10 and ready to go. No shit Sherlock didn't I just tell her I needed to push! She ran to get the doctor and I kept pushing my poor husband thought he was going to have to grab the baby. The doctor came in and less then a minute afterward I pushed him out. And yes I finally know what a ring of fire is, not so painful just uncomfortable lets get this over with kind of thing. The placed Preston on my chest he was purple, not crying, not breathing, no heartbeat. I asked the nurse to take him now. About 20 people came running into the room and began CPR on Preston. I felt so helpless I was stuck delivering the placenta when I wanted to be by him. A million thoughts raced through my head. But my main thought was a Prayer, Please GOD let him live breath air into his tiny lungs let his heart beat. The delivering doctor tried to reassure me telling me that he doesn't have RDS he will be fine he is just feeling the affects of the stadol because it was given to you too late in labor. After the longest 5 minutes of my life they got our little fighter back. I thanked God for giving him back to us but we were still very unsure of what the minutes and hours would hold for him.


Holland Hospital Special Care Nursery November 19, 2011

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to hear the rest of your story!!! Love that Preston is such a fighter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I totally bawled reading this. xoxoxo Glad little Preston is okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved reading this. thanks for sharing :-)

    (and wes is going to die that you noticed his repeated shirt. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete